The aircraft carrier USS Nimitz will remain in the Persian Gulf as the US reversed the order to redeploy the carrier following Iranian âthreatsâ, the Pentagon said on Sunday.
âDue to the recent threats issued by Iranian leaders against President Trump and other U.S. government officials, I have ordered the USS Nimitz to halt its routine redeployment,â said Acting Secretary of Defense Chris Miller in a statement.
Miller also said, â The USS Nimitz will now remain on station in the U.S. Central Command area of operations. No one should doubt the resolve of the United States of America.â
Tensions have escalated in the region following the anniversary of the death of Iranâs General Qasem Soleimani killed by a US drone strike in Baghdad in January 3 last year.
The Iran Foreign Ministry said, âThe unlawful assassination of Gen Soleimani was a wake-up call: the US military presence in our region is destabilizing. This malignancy has costed ME unspeakable destruction. Our region should recognize this reality. Peace & security at stake,â in a tweet on Sunday.
Article (c) Fourth Estate – All Rights Reserved.
Provided by FeedSyndicate.com